The intersection of Donald Street and St-Laurent Boulevard has been identified for improvements focused on creating a safer environment for all road users, particularly pedestrians and cyclists. Construction is now getting underway, which will transform the junction into a "protected intersection".
This intersection was chosen because of its high pedestrian and vehicle traffic volumes, as well as its collision history. It ranked 10th on a list of highest pedestrian collision locations between 2010 and 2014.
Some of the improvements include:
- “Protected intersection” design with dedicated channels for cyclists
- Reduced total crosswalk length
- Increased space between sidewalks/crosswalks and vehicles
- Improved sightlines for all road users
- Reduced conflict zones between pedestrians/cyclists and vehicles
- Protected left-turn movements for vehicles in all directions
- Right-turn channels for vehicles will be converted into right-turn lanes
- Corner curb radii designed to encourage slow motor vehicle speed and yielding behavior